Monday 28 December 2009

Wheel Maintenance I



My wheel is a fairly simple mechanism; the main wheel (wheel head) is joined to a heavy fly wheel turned by a friction wheel (these terms may be incorrect, I am a novice when it comes to mechanical jargonese) joined to a motor. See the below diagram.


My wheel was slipping and slowing under pressure, part of the problem was due to the lack of contact between the friction wheel and base wheel. The leather friction wheel was too smooth and slightly bowed resulting in a lack of contact. The springs on the main shaft (see photograph) can be adjusted to increase the tension between the fly wheel and friction wheel. This did not seem to work for me, so I returned to first principles. Dismantling as much of the mechanism as I could, cleaning, greasing where needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment